Friday, March 27, 2009

Mom jeans?

I've been on a new jeans kick lately. What can I say, the stores are moving denim out to make room for Spring stuff, and I've been finding some good sales. So, I've bought about 3 pairs over the last few weeks, and one pair is... well, questionable.

Don't get me wrong - I love them. I'm actually wearing them right now. But, they're kind of trouser-style, a little bit 70's, a little bit country, a little bit rock n' roll. Not really, but they are wide legged with those fake girly pockets in front. They meet my requirements: they make my ass look decent and don't cause muffin-top, they're dark wash and comfortable. BUT. I'm a little concerned that they're mom jeans.

You know the kind. High waisted. Small pockets. Tapered legs. :::shudder:::



"Give her something that says, 'I'm not a woman anymore. I'm a mom!'"

A friend of mine recently confided in me that she thinks ALL jeans look like mom jeans on us, simply because we're in our 30's and are, in fact, moms. I heartily disagree. I mean, really. I have LOVED my thirties so far; my twenties were great, and I can truly say I've enjoyed every decade of my life thus far, but so far the 30's are rockin' the hizzouse. I love my kids, my husband is still wicked fun to be with, and I've made some great friends. I'm still young(ish) and hip(ish), damn it!

So, you be the judge. Are these mom jeans?



Give it to me straight. I can take it! (I think. Sort of. Maybe. Ugh.)

8 comments:

Harmony said...

If they are in style can they be "mom jeans"? I think that style is "in" right now...isn't it?

Honestly? I haven't the slightest idea about anything stylish or not...I like to wear my pajamas WAY too much to have a "real" say in anything fashion.

Samsmama said...

My laptop won't let me play the video, but I'm guessing it's from SNL.

Anyway, I think they're SUPER cute. But, then again, I have no fashion sense. Seriously. You should see me.

I bet they'd really rock with a pair of high heel boots. I love that look. It's the only time my legs look remotely unstumpish.

Bev said...

Thank you, Harmony & Samsmama! I'm not exactly known for my fashion sense (cough*hardly*cough), but I think these are in style...? Maybe?

I wish I could wear my pjs everywhere, every day. Life would be much simpler.

I also wish I was as skinny as that model chick in the picture. Daaaaamn.

Mala said...

Damnnnnnnnn! I wish I could have gone shopping for jeans with you! I'm in a serious need for some new denim. I think I'm down to 3 pairs and since it is just about the only thing I wear I'm doing laundry constantly (hmmm, good thing there's always laundry to be done. ugh) Anyhoo, 2 of my 3 remaining jeans actually have holes in them, sadly right around the side belt loop... you know, the ones I yank and pull on to get the damn jeans on! Sad, just sad.

Matter Of Fact Mommy said...

i haven't watched the SNL clip yet, but i will.

according to Stacey Whateverhernameis from What Not To Wear and, occasionally the Today show, these ARE in style right now. of course, it depends on your body-type. on me? these would look ridiculous.

we went out to dinner on new year's eve with a group of dear friends. i was wearing some jeans that i had only recently been able to fit into - gap, dark wash, low waist, bootcut. my stylish friend was wearing some really expensive jeans. anyway, she says to me, "you REALLY need to get some jeans that FIT. don't buy bootcut, buy skinny jeans! we need to go jeans shopping together." (right, like that would ever happen.)

while i'm sure she wasn't intentionally trying to make me feel like shit, she did. i have since purchased two pairs of skinny jeans to fit my newly skinny ass. HOWEVER, the waist is a bit high on them and i wonder if people look at me like, "there's a mom in her 30s trying to look hip and failing miserably." bitches.

Matter Of Fact Mommy said...

oh dear god, i just watched the clip. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! "free applique (sp?) vest with every mom jeans purchase. only at JCPenney."

that video must have been taken in the midwest somewhere. no offense to anyone who currently resides in the midwest. *cough*

CLASSIC!

Brooklyn ML said...

Bev, rock the jeans! The high waist is totally in these days. Slap on a pair of heels and you're good to go.

Bev said...

Mala - we'll have to hit the mall before all the good sales are done!

MOFM - Soooo funny! Don't ya just love those back-handed compliments? Yeesh. It's like the other day somebody I don't know very well saw my FB picture and said something like, "Wow, you look great! I guess it has been a long time since I've seen you." WTF does that mean???! Yeah, 'cause before, you looked like shit!

Anywhooooo. I digress.

Maeghan - Thanks!!! I will definitely wear them with my head held high now that I know they're "in!" Hurray!!