Thursday, April 23, 2009

Confession: I'm gaga

Since Steph backed me up in comments the other day, I'm gonna go ahead and come out of the closet with another one of my more cheesetastic quirks. I'm a little bit obsessed with Lady GaGa. I know! I can hear you all saying, "Ugh, Bev, no!"

But hear me out.

First of all, let it be known that I am not a music snob. I like ALL kinds of music, from the twangiest piece of country crap to the most out-there techno, and everything in between. While my leanings have almost always been towards alternative, I can get down to muzak if need be. And I have. Sure, there are bands whose music I don't like (Nickleback... I'm looking in your direction), but it's them specifically, not any particular genre.


Also, I love to boogie, so dance music is a-ok by me, and this is where the Gaga comes in. This music is like heroin. I haven't stopped playing the CD in my car for 3 days, and I've been busted dancing at stoplights a couple of times now. Oh, and FYI - when I'm busted, I don't get embarrassed, I go with it! The other day I was workin' it out when I noticed a guy watching me, so I did the ol' white-man's overbite, pointing at him thing, and he laughed his ass off. What can I say? I like making people giggle, even at my own expense. The best part is that when I told Jim about it he didn't even bat an eye. He's used to my antics by now, I s'pose.

Speaking of Jim, he is completely indulgent when it comes to my semi-secret pop leanings. In case you didn't know, Jim's a Deadhead and a huge music lover, and he takes it very seriously. He listens to a lot of 60's & 70's rock, a lot of CCR, Hot Tuna, Steve Kimock... shit like that. I like it too, but as I mentioned, I refuse to be pigeon-holed. So, despite the fact that he thinks pop sucks, he thinks it's cute that I like it.

Now, back to GaGa. She's batshit crazy, and I think that's the tits. She dresses like a martian and is amazingly good at hiding her "butterface" behind big glasses and hair extensions. She never wears pants, and I think it's a well-documented fact that I also hate pants. Most importantly, her music is the catchiest shit I've ever heard in my life. And she's dirty, and lord knows, I like dirty.

Some of her lyrics:
"I wanna take a ride on your disco stick."
"Russian Roulette isn't the same without a gun, and baby when it's love if it ain't rough it isn't fun."
and my personal favorite, "I'll get him hard, show him what I've got." (this is part of the chorus, people. THE CHORUS!)

Hee! I think it's love. Sure, some of the baselines remind me a little too much of Salt n' Peppa, Paula Abdul, and other 80's gems, but I can dig it. The album only has 2-3 clunkers (I don't "do" ballads on dance albums), but the rest is ridiculously catchy. I literally cannot stop moving when it's on.

Oh, and for anyone who thinks she's gimmicky with the outfits and wants to feel superior in their musical tastes, let me remind you of this:

Ziggy Stardust Bowie is some of my favorite Bowie.

Spectacle is good! Put on a show for me, entertain me, shock me, and definitely talk dirty to me. :)

So, there it is. Let the hazing commence. I am secure enough in my coolness that I refuse to feel shame (much) about loving the Lady G!

18 comments:

Samsmama said...

Does she sing that "Poker Face" song? Until I know for sure, I can't comment. And I'm too lazy to google it. I'll wait.

Bev said...

Yes, that's her!

Samsmama said...

Ok, thought so.

I think that song is so stupid, but damn if I don't groove to it in my car. She is so flippin' weird! But oddly fascinating!

Harmony said...

I am the same way with my taste in music...all over the board. The fact that she is bat shit crazy...is awesome. Bat shit crazy makes for good times..I always say.

laurieliz said...

I, too, have more alternative leanings musically but I'm not ashamed to admit I am a total teen in the car...Huge sunglasses, (insert local slang here---we say "wicked") load stereo pumpin like a club everywhere I go, and me (and sometimes my 7 yr old--I do skip the dirty songs with her tho--I'm not a total scummer) car dancing the day away. Loves me some Ga, Britney, Pink, Beyonce, etc...

The only time it's a bit awkward is havin' the kid get out at the elementary school singing..." Your a womaniza OH" as she heads up the steps...woops!...looks like I got "the look" from Ms. Keds ova there...

Samsmama said...

http://thesuperficial.com/2009/04/lady_gaga_who_the_hell_knows.php#comment

Mala said...

Ha! So funny with all the "buttaface" talk, Lady Gaga is my poster child for the term!

My 6 year old LOVES FloRida. Yeah, ya heard me. Mother of the Year! But she's so dang cute when she sings "Right Round".

I say bring on the Lady Ga tonight Bev. We can rock it all the way to beantown.

Samsmama said...

Damn! Why didn't that work. Go to thesuperficial.com and I think it's on the second page.

Bev said...

LOVE that superficial link! I'm surprised they aren't all over that, since she's not wearing pants and they love that kind of thing on the SF. Of course, it seems that most male bloggers don't like the GaGa... well, except Perez H, who's obsessed!

Mala - Oh, it's already been broughten! It's in my bag RIGHT NOW. It's only a little bit ironic that we're gonna listen to totally commercial synthesized dance music on our way to watch Mr. Sensitive Accoustic Awesomeness (and hotness... I'm not sure, have I mentioned that I think he's hot? No? Well, I do).

Pam said...

I saw her open for New Kids on the block. I know you are jealous now.

Oh and butterface - lmao..totally.

jessica o said...

Who is Lady GaGa? I love Bowie and Prince. They ARE spectacular!

Matter Of Fact Mommy said...

okay, haven't thoroughly read the post or the comments, but i must say this...

i saw her when she did american idol the other day and i thought "WHO THE FUCK IS THIS MIDGET?!"

more later... (love you.)

Steph said...

DUDE! THIS! YES!

Sorry. I got all excited and capsloc'd like a n00b. My bad.

BUT YES!! This is EXACTLY how I feel about music in general and Lady G in particular.

Also? I have massive pop leanings, and I'm okay with it. I'm still awesome. (Plus, I can KICK ASS at Name That Tune.)

Jo said...

My stomach hurts from laughing so hard. Hilarious, my friend! I need to check out this Lady Gaga you speak of.

Bev said...

I knew I could count on ma' LADIES! Can I get a "whut-whut?"

Daaaamn, I'm tired. Can't be clever on less than 4 hrs./sleep.... :)

Ck said...

ok, if you're out, I;m coming out too.

LOVE HER!!!

Bev said...

Yahooooo CK! Come over here and dance with me, girl!

raskal said...

Dude. Do you have any idea how many fucking MILES I have walked while listening to pokerface?