Thursday, April 16, 2009

A post about this, that, and the other

Hey-yo!

That's the greeting of my little son, who is talking more and more these days. He's in the most adorable phase right now, aside from the whole "smashy-smashy" thing he's been doing. You know: "I'm gonna take this plate and throw it overhand and see what happens! Woohoo! Fun!" That part isn't so cute. BUT, when he opens a door and peers around it with his big blue eyes and says, "Heyyo!" it makes up for the tiny shards of broken glass I keep finding in the oddest places even after I think I've vacuumed them up.... Mostly.

I've been pulled in many directions this week, which is an altogether unpleasant kind of feeling. My oldest turns 6 next week (yes, I had my first baby on 4/20... a little private joke between me and the cosmos) and we're having a little b-day party for him on Saturday. Instead of doing the big Chuck E. Cheese party, he wanted to do it at our place again. Greeeeeeaaaat. Sure, it's cheaper, but it's a helluva lot more work for dear ol' ma. Whatever. I'm gonna throw some "crabby patties" on the grill & feed the kids sugar and the grown-ups beer. That's the plan, Stan.

But that doesn't mean I don't have an assload of errands to get done in the next two days. My house is a pit of despair that needs a serious scrubbing & decluttering. Of course, I should have stayed home and cleaned on my day off yesterday... but I went to the movies with Laurie instead. Bad, Bev, baaaaaad. If I can't shoot myself in the foot, what fun am I? Don't answer that.

Anyhoooo. Here's something cool though - my sister sent this to me yesterday with the message, "More proof that you can't judge a book by its cover." Right on, sis.

Her name is Susan Boyle, and she looks like this--->

and she sounds like this:
Susan Boyle on Britain's Got Talent, singing I dreamed a dream from Les Mis.

Sorry I can't embed it - YouTube is being a bitch. But, go watch it. I swear, I don't know what it is that makes me tear up when I hear someone sing so beautifully. I'm hard-wired that way, even though I can't stand cheesy talent show stuff like this. This is worth a look/listen, though... what a gift.

10 comments:

Matter Of Fact Mommy said...

yes, beautiful voice and all that. but why oh why does she have to be so offensively unattractive? (sorry, had to go there.)

congrats on your oldest turning 6! you and i will have to chat about that first day of kindergarten since nate starts in the fall. (his orientation is MAY 7th!!) i do not envy your position of having to clean and declutter your house. and i do the SAME THING on my day's off - i make them all about me. because when does that EVER happen on a normal day. for it to be all about you, i mean. that's right - NEVER. so i'm glad you enjoyed it! but now you must pay... :)

also? i used the term "being a bitch" re: blogger in my post today. weird.

laurieliz said...

OMG! Couldn't believe it when I heard her sing. Totally guilty of judging a book by the proverbial cover on that one. Saw her come out, laughed and then TOTAL open-mouth awe (and I'll admit, a little teary)when she sang.

Bev said...

Adrianne - I KNOW! Isn't that weird? I just read your blog and thought the same thing. YouTube AND Blogger can be bitches together, just like you & me.

My oldest is actually in kindy right now and will be starting 1st grade in the fall. That is, if I can get off my duff and get the rest of his reg. papers to the school. Bastard doctor's office... another rant for another day, that.

Thanks for letting my justify yesterday's laziness!! I agree - we all need ME days, damn it! But now, I will pay.... ugh.

Laurie - I know!! I was guilty of thinking the same thing. I dunno, she's European. They have totally different standards for beauty, right? Right? Anyone?

calicobebop said...

"My house is a pit of despair" are you sure you aren't talking about my house? :) Yes, that woman's voice was AMAZING! I still can't get over it. Favorite part = Simon speechless. It's about time!

Cary said...

Are you sure that's not Benny Hill?

Bev said...

Calico - I know! About time, is right. I thought his eye brows were gonna end up in his hair somewhere, he raised them so high....

And speaking of eyebrows... CARY! You fucking kill me! Benny Hill?! LMAO! (great - now I'm gonna have the BH theme song stuck in my head all day... you know the one)

Cary said...

heh heh. thanks

Matter Of Fact Mommy said...

omfg, benny hill... i'm dying!

Samsmama said...

Aw, fuck. I was totally going to comment something of depth but now my mind has gone all Benny Hill-ish and I can't focus anymore.

Brooklyn ML said...

I totally balled.
Benny Hill.
Hilarious.