Sunday, July 26, 2009

A day at the "fay-ah" and a fiesta por tres

Yesterday we went to the Stratham Fair. It was a lovely day with some good friends, and I celebrated the nice weather by getting myself a sexy white-trash sunburn. Seriously, I look like I've been working construction all day; you can go ahead and picture me in an orange vest, holding a Yield sign. Go ahead, do it. I don't mind.

It was a typical New England fair, and the people-watching was excellent as always. I kept running into the same gigantic man in a Metallica tank top who reminded me of Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds, only way dirtier and uglier. Oh, and covered in tattoos, too. To be perfectly honest, the third time I saw him I tried to surreptitiously take his picture with my cell phone, but I couldn't get it without getting caught, and this was not a man by whom I wanted to get caught doing anything of which he did not approve. Skeery.

Anywho, we had a big lunch of lobster and steamers (which kind of gross me out, but I ate some anyway just to maintain my NH cred), toured the 4H barns, rode some rides, and Danny even took part in a traditional Pig Scramble even though we had to fudge his age a bit to enter him in the competition. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the concept of a Pig Scramble, it's basically a contest in which groups of 8 children aged 8-12 (ahem) run around in a big pen and try to catch one of the 5 pigs that are set loose. Pigs are kind of fast and hard to catch, and it's funny watching the kids dive into the grass in hot pursuit of the squeeling piggies. Now, once they catch a pig, they are required to take it HOME and raise it for a year, then the rules state that the pig must be *gulp* eaten.

Needless to say, we did not want Danny to actually catch a pig for a number of reasons, the largest reason being that we live in a suburban neighborhood and I do not want a pig sty in my back yard, thankyouverymuch. So, we were relieved when he didn't make much of an effort and simply ran around in the mass of children and laughed. PHEW!



The Silence of the Lambs? ----->





Mala couldn't join us, but her husband and kids came along for the ride. In keeping with our tradition, I have no pictures of her son. It seems that we only photograph 3 out of the 4 children at any given outing.







Jill and her youngest daughter were with us too, but you'll have to take my word for that since I have no pics of them either.


After we were all tired and stinky and high on lemonade and cotton candy, we parted ways with Mala's fam and went back to our house with Jill & her kiddo for a little Mexican feast. I made chicken fajitas, tacos, and quesadillas for the kids (which they didn't eat, because children kind of suck that way. What? It's true). Jill played bartender and made us Mango Margaritas. They were goooooooood.


I saved one for you:

You're welcome.

After the kids went to bed I got a hankering to play some Scrabble. I love Scrabble. Jim and I used to play all the time, and he's a good sport because I always win. But, in his defense, it's always a close game.

I'm happy to report that I've still got my Scrabble mojo. I'm not so happy to report that margaritas make me a little less than sportsman-like from time to time, so when I placed my winning 57-point word on the board, I may have actually gloated a little. *blush* I maaaaay have even said something along the lines of, "S-s-suuuuuck it!"

Not my finest moment, to be sure.

In a moment of instant karma, I told Jim to take a picture of me and Jill so I could document my awesomeness, and when we looked at the picture we all howled with laughter... because I looked a little bit... slow. As in, Corky from Life Goes On, slow. NTTAWWT! But still. That pic won't ever see the light of day.

But these will:



Heh heh. Sore winner? Moi? Naaaaah.

Anywho. It was a fun day and night! An added bonus? We put on The Big Lebowski because Jill had never seen it before. Any night with The Dude is a good night at Casa de Bev. Funny story, and then I'll shut up: last weekend when we were spending time with Maeghan in NYC, she reminded me that Jim and I had first showed her TBL many moons ago, and when she met her now-fiance, they bonded over their mutual love for the movie! Lebowski helped bring them together, so in a way, I'm responsible for their successful coupling. Hee - what? Ok, so I let my big Scrabble victory go to my head, clearly. I will look into getting my ego deflated ASAP.

Speaking of Maeghan, she just started her own blog. She rules! Check her out.

Ok, gotta run. It's 10 AM on a Sunday and I've done nothing but clean up the dishes from last night's fiesta. I have a full day of sitting on my butt and doing nothing ahead of me. Gotta get to it!

Have a nice Sunday, my friends!

21 comments:

Frank Irwin said...

Don't forget your yellow hardhat, Bev. I can picture you in that, along with the orange vest.

calicobebop said...

Holy Cow - the pig scramble sounds like a blast!

Thanks for the 'rita! I might have to try that recipe sometime...

And - one final note - Scrabble F-ing Rocks.

The Peach Tart said...

mango margarita...yummy

Kate said...

1. What are steamers?

2. Metallic tank top? Yummy.

3. Pig scramble? Sounds like Alabama!

4. Kids do suck.

5. Mango margarita? For me??? You remembered that I have been craving margaritas! (We're just going to pretend that extra one was just for moi.)

6. Corky? Awwww...he was so sweet.

7. Scrabble queen? Hate to bust your bubble darling Bev, but a 20 point spread does not a scrabble master make.

8. Want to know something? You rock.

Frank Irwin said...

I dated a woman who thought she could beat me at Scrabble. She said that we would play for an hour.

At the end of the hour, when I was a few points ahead, she decided that we could play a little while longer.

A few turns later, I emptied my rack.

:-D

When her mom came to visit, I beat them both.

Yes, I did say "former girlfriend." Heh.

Bev said...

Frank - The hardhat does complete the look, you're right. Why do I have a feeling that you're picturing me in nothing BUT the hardhat, vest, and Yield sign? Hmmm... oh, and maybe heels. Am I right?

Calico - It was a blast, and the recipe was quite simple: Cuervo & Margaritaville Mango Margarita mixer, ice, blender. Voila!

PT - Yes! Come on up and have one with me, sistah.

Kate!
1. Steamed Clams
2. Totally! Metalica - the band OF assholes, FOR assholes!
3. We have our 'Bama moments, for sure!
4. WORD.
5. I'll make yours sans alcohol for the time being, but once that baby is out we're getting you tanked!
6. Yes, but I don't want to look like him.
7. I know, it wasn't my best game, and the competition was stiff. However, I'm a slow & steady player. I usually win out of sheer consistency. ;-) Tenacious B, that's me!
8. THANKS!!! So do you!

Frank - "emptied my rack" sounds very dirty. And then when you said you beat both mother & daughter... well... some thoughts cannot be unthunk!

Frank Irwin said...

You know me too well, Bev. But the vest is buttoned. I am a gentelman, after all.

Mala said...

UGH!!! I can't believe I missed such a fab time!!!!! But we probably have matching sunburns.. all day under the sun at a horse show..and me without a trace of sunblock! *slaps forehead* I'll turn into the Lancome Lady any minute!!!
Joe called me at the pig scramble - I was totally rooting for Danny!!! hee hee
and good lord that 'rita looks good.. but licking my laptop screen has made my tongue go all fuzzy.
and Frank, darling, you are all class!!!!! "emptied my rack" - that's hawt.

Deb said...

It's truly white-trash if you are also sporting a gigantic bruise somewhere on your leg.

Samsmama said...

I absolutely love that you fail to take pictures of certain people, yet the alcohol and Scrabble board were not neglected. And 20 bucks said you came up with the word "plow". And then laughed about it.

Jeve (aka John and Steve) said...

Mmmmm....the Mango Margarita looks tasty! I think I would like to see the adults drink a couple and do a pig scramble.

Organic Meatbag said...

You ATE a steamer??!! Oh man, I didn't know you were into that kind of stuff... 2 girls, 1 steamer???

Elliott said...

For the record, Lori loves Metallica. They give me a migraine. In fairness, DKM has the same effect on her, so we're even.

Scrabble does, in fact, rock. One of the few times I become angrily competitive. Can you say 'challenge'?

Bev said...

Frank, oh, of course! I assumed as much from a gentleman such as yourself. *smirk*

Mala -True to form, I actually had 2 diff. kinds of sunblock with me but didn't use them on myself. The kids didn't burn at all. I rule!

Deb - Oh, you know me! I am always sporting a bruise somewhere!!!

Samsmama - Hey man, when there are margaritas involved, you KNOW I've got my camera handy! I keep it in a holster on my hip.

Jeve - thank you! I think I have an idea for my next BBQ!

Organic MB - Scrubbing my eyes to try to remove that visual image.... EW EW EW! As if me eating CLAMS weren't suggestive enough!

Elliott - Well, we all have our own little idiosyncracies (cough:: vampires::cough), so I'll give Lori a pass on this one!! Also, wtf is DKM? I feel duuuuumb.

Elliott said...

DKM - Dropkick Murphys. Boston punk with bagpipes.

And I can't get past the expectation that you would take a pig home and raise it for a year. Sure, I would do that, but I've also been petitioning for chickens for the last five years.

Mala said...

Joe and I were at the pig scramble last year. Freakin' 10 minute banter about the requirement to EAT your cute little piggy. Seriously, pig Nazis! They went on about not naming the sweet swine, no cuddling, no loving...THESE ARE NOT PETS! and if they discovered you didn't sizzle that bastard up, they'd hunt your ass down! The poor kids look terrified! awwwww, good times in the country.

Kate said...

I am such an idiot!! I seriously thought it said "metallic" NOT "MetallicA." I was envisioning this large, burly, dirty man in a lovely shiny silver tank top. I think I need to read things more thoroughly.

Bev said...

Elliott - ah yes! THAT DKM! Duh. I'm in the Boston area, so yes, I'm familiar with them. I'm pretty sure that here's a rule that "Shippin' off to Boston" must be played at least twice a day on all local radio stations.

Also, I can dig it! I told Jim I wanted to get chickens and he laughed his ass off at me. I meant I wanted fresh eggs, not that I wanted to care for chickens or *GULP* clean up after them. ;-)

Mala - right on! Pigs are food, not pets! HEE! Sorry, Wilbur. Though, we were looking forward to getting one just so we could call him SpiderPig. Or Harry Plopper.

(that's a Simpsons reference, so Mala won't get it. tsk tsk)

Kate, if he had been wearing a metallic tank top, I would have risked it and taken his pic. I mean, how could I NOT?

Jillinator said...

I had soooooooooo much fun with you guys! And the whole bragging thing was funny - cracked me up (and I was very glad you didn't get upset when I made the whole retarded comment - Ric was horrified when I told him I'd said that... I didn't even think about the possibility it could be taken as mean when I said it... could've been because of the multiple marg's before hand)

to Kate - I'm cracking up about picturing mr scarey in a metallic shirt - he was truly scary. like OMFG a million tattoos, dirty long hair, tall and heavy with bleach running out of his hair scarey. Now I've pictured him with a metallic tank and I've got the giggles - thanks!

Bev said...

Jill - no worries! I am not easily offended... AND IT WAS TRUE!

Cary said...

There is a secret to catching pigs. No, I won't tell you what it is. But if you ever want one, let me know. I can get you a pig.