Thursday, December 31, 2009

Merry New Year!



What does everyone have planned to usher in the new year this evening? We're having a little party here at our house, as we have done every NYE for about 6 years now. It's just nicer than braving the cold and the crowds in town, and we always have a great time with our friends and their children in the comfort of our home. Also, no driving - yay!

This year we've got three other families coming over and we're doing a Pajama Party theme. Basically, the girls and I just decided that we didn't want to dress up and we didn't want to wear anything that does not have an elastic waistband, so pj's were the logical choice! I've selected some oh-so-sexy duds that have frogs and peace signs on them, and I can't wait to rock them with my new red hair.

Oh, did I forget to mention that I'm now a pseudo-redhead? Last Monday I decided to go even more "rock star" with the 'do and I got some flame-red (burgundy, really) highlights. I love it, and everyone noticed for a change; usually my highlights are more subtle, but this time everyone from the mailman at work to Mala's unobservant husband Joe noticed. I'm digging it. I wanted something funky to start 2010 and this fits the bill.

In other news, yesterday Mala, her daughter (who is also sporting some killer pink highlights, btw) and I had a nice lunch at The Ichiban Japanese hibachi, one of Mala's favorite restaurants, which she lovingly refers to as the "Itchy Bum." We were feeling very multi-cultural apparently, because after that we went and got our nails done one of Concord's many Vietnamese-run salons and got called "Baby" while the teeny little women talked about us in their language and filed all of the nails on my left hand crooked.



Mala's doctor is running some tests on her to try to figure out why she's so awesome so they can bottle it, so she was sporting the ever-popular fanny pack o' wires. Basically, she looked like a terrorist. After we were seated at the hand dryer waiting for our bright blue (hers) and deep purple (mine) nails to dry, we were treated to a disgusting display of Wild Kingdom in the algae-clogged cesspool they called a fish tank. It was kind of heartbreaking, really. There were these two horribly neglected fish that kept staring at us with these pleading googly eyes as if to say, "Please, contact the ASPCA! We're pretty sure we're covered by them, right? Help usssss...."



One of the fish was clearly dying, and the other was going all Finding Nemo on us by nudging his friend and hovering by his side. It was very depressing, even though we'd just eaten at a sushi restaurant so we're obviously not huge fish-rights people.

Anywhooooo. I hope you all have a lovely evening and don't have to witness any dying fish! Tomorrow I'll post some pics of our night of debauchery. I dug out some old pics of Mala and me ringing in the year 2000, so we'll have fun comparing then versus now. I'm sure we can all agree that not much has changed in the past 10 years except for a few minor developments like getting married, having children, buying homes, etc. You know, little stuff. ;)

HAPPY NEW YEAR'S EVE, ALL!

16 comments:

Heather said...

Happy New Year Bev! I hope you have a great pajama party! We are going to try to land the eagle at our party. Explain? Why yes!

We have a set of "drinking" glasses with eagles on them. By the end of the night, we try to be drunk enough to make our crown and cokes have enough crown to top the eagles wings. Which means we drink a glass of crown. It's fun times! Don't have too much fun!

Mr. Condescending said...

Comment moderation sucks!

I hope you have fun tonight, I laughed at the wires especially.

I wanna see the pics of debauchery.

Mala said...

Bev, we should have taken a picture of the signs that read "No speaking Vietnamese while working". Clearly it was directed at the customers and not the waify nail techs.

And you are such I wimp! I think we really should have tried running through the airport just to see how long it would take security to tackle me. Woot!

By the way, all my "PJs" are sheer, vinyl, ass-less or come with whips.... what to wear? what to wear?

See you tonight! And Happy New Year to all.

Kate said...

Bev-

I love the PJ theme. As we already discussed we have similar plans..all the adults drink and the kids go wild throughout the house...LOL. I am really excited this year because my friend's daughter is now 10 and is a great babysitter for my kids. And after a few glasses of wine, I with no doubt in my mind start to sing exactly like Usher when we play Rock Band.

Love your hair!!

Happy New Year my friend...I know 2010 is going to be your year!

Kate said...

Happy New Year Bev-

As we discussed before we have similar NYE plans. The adults drink and the kids create havoc in the house. I am especially excited this year because my friend's daughter who is now a responsible 10 year old has reassured me that she would watch Mia for me. YAHOO for me! And it amazes me that after a few glasses of wine I can sing and sound exactly like Usher on Rock Band..LOL

Love your hair!

I know 2010 is going to be your year!

onebadmamajama said...

Happy New Year!

I am celebrating by giving HellMart another little piece of my soul this evening. Hey, the silver lining is that this will be the first time I've stayed up to ring in the new year in, well, years!:)

Poor fishies!

Good thing you guys didn't have to go to the airport or anything! I think Mala's hotness might not have helped her get out of the strip search!

Cary said...

Fish make great pets. They are so cuddly and affectionate.

I am digging the red, Red.

Samsmama said...

Love the hair, and I bet the nails look great as well!

Enjoy your NYE! We have gotten the oil changed in the Jeep, been to the bank, and eaten at Denny's. At this rate not sure we can make it until midnight.

"Basically, she looked like a terrorist" made me laugh. She's so bionic looking! Nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh...or however one would go about spelling that.

Catch ya next year!

(I really freaking hate it when people say that.)

MtnMama said...

That clip took me back, Bev! oh, the memories...
There have been a few "minor developments" in my life since my Seinfeld watchin' days. No more house, or dogs, but I have a kid now, so... yeah. It's been quite a decade. I'm ready for a new year.
Love the hair. I usually don't go for that, but on you it looks good (of course!) Have a great evening! *mwah*

**oh, and Mala? You do NOT want to be tackled in an airport. Think of having your face on that carpet.

Mala said...

MtnMama - yeah, been there, done that.

Rich Girl Red said...

Red ROCKS!

We had fabulous at-home parties when our kids were little--love your pj idea.

I'm cracking up-- your blog is hilarious! Have a great party!

Heidi Renée said...

We're staying home. I plan to play a game of "why's the rum always gone" (my fancy name for drinking rum) until the rum is indeed gone. I'm also making a peanut butter ice cream pie so as not to be drinking on an empty stomach.

Senorita said...

Happy New Year ! I will be wearing my Pjs tonite too ! Cute little green frogs on them. Too bad it won't be a party :(

Frank Irwin said...

I just came inside from watching the fireworks over San Francisco, so now I can say, "Happy New Year!" to you, too!

They shot off a couple of fireworks in pairs, and they looked like giant sparkling breasticles. It reminded me of you, Bev.

Now, I can go to bed.

The new 'do is rockin'.

New England Girl said...

Happy New Year!

LOVE the new hair. You look hawt. Great choice!

Hope the party was eventful, exciting and enjoyed by all. It must have been 10x better in pjs. Love the attire choice. :)

Hope 2010 is a great year for you! I have been super behind on blogging and all lately, but I'm hoping to keep up with everything from here on out. A new year's resolution. :)

Kate said...

I have been to this post a dozen times and haven't been able to comment yet--dang having children!

Your hair is awesome, Mala rocks balls, and those are two of the ugliest damn fish I have ever seen.

Happy 2010!