Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Yeah, I rode the disco stick.



Did you have any doubt?

The Gaga show was outstanding! Honestly, it was one of the best shows I've ever seen, and I've seen A LOT of concerts. I can't say it was the best I've seen in years because last summer's Paul McCartney show was also spectacular, but Gaga ranked right up there. The Wang (heh heh) Theater is freaking amazing, first of all. I hadn't been there in several years and I think I'd forgotten how breathtaking the very building is, how wonderful the accoustics are (hello, "Opera house!"), and how great the view is from just about every seat. From the moment you walk in it's just stunning - gilded and grand. I felt so appreciative of the whole experience; it was almost overwhelming.



Check out this ceiling:

Boobies:


Ok, so back to the beginning. Reeeeewind. Laurie dressed me. She bought me an outfit that consisted of a very tight, very low-cut tank top and a bright blue pleather 80's style jacket. When I got there she already had jewelry all set out for me, too. She knows that my idea of crazy club wear tends towards the conservative; in fact, I brought one of my wildest tops in case I didn't like her outfit choice and we laughed over the fact that it is a beaded brown silk DKNY tank. Me so crazy! Woo! Give it up for the wild child!

By the time she was done with me we looked like superheroes.



We drove down to the city and parked in a garage that turned out to be kind of far from the theater. OOPS. The minute we stepped out into the lobby of the business I felt like an idiot. Any of you who have visited Boston know that the people of Beantown are not flashy, bright color kinds of folks. In fact, I've never seen so many black wool coats and sleek brunette pony tails in my life. We were in the business district and everyone was coming out of work. They looked like this:

And we looked like this:


Awesome. Finally we made it over to the theater district and felt a lot more comfortable there, among our people. We ate a light dinner at an Indian restaurant and had a little wine, but didn't go crazy with the booze. We partied responsibly because I knew I'd be driving over an hour to get home later that night, plus I really wanted to be present and, ya know, remember the concert. Dinner was perfect; we had the perfect little buzz and when we walked over to the venue I couldn't stop admiring the full moon, which was bright and beautiful.

Once inside, we had a celebratory glass of champagne and watched the freak show for a while. LOVED it!






Then the concert began and we got our disco moves on! Gaga was perfection - she sang, she danced, she talked to us. She must've said "I love you, Boston!" about twenty times at least. She really interacted with the crowd a great deal and encouraged us to dance and sing and be "monsters." Great fun, really! The backdrops and dancers were wonderful, and whomever did the stage direction really grasped the concept of a stage picture like nobody's business. It was beautiful and grotesque and fucking brilliant. This theater nerd DUG it.





See? Definitely no penis here. Gaga is all woman (and a teeny tiny one at that!)

The crowd went wild!


We had a blast! I got home around 1 AM and immediately got in the shower to wash off the glitter and pleather sweat. Sexay! I went to bed with wet hair and woke up looking like Garth from Wayne's World, only brunette. Suh-weeeeet!

What a great night! I feel so lucky to live close enough to Boston to do stuff like this, and so lucky to have good friends who also like to put our domestic mom-wife lives aside from time to time to cut loose, old-skool. Complete with plastic clothes & push-up bras. Wooot.

30 comments:

laurieliz said...

Best time EVAH! Loved every little thing...except that we parked so far away! BOO to us! I am still just in awe of it all and thinking remembering bits and pieces. Was so packed with exciting sights and sounds! Thanks so much for coming AND for dancing all night! WE RAWKED THE HELL OUT OF IT, SISTA!

Harmony said...

That's it..I need a Laurie!

Oh that looks like it was SO awesome! Everyone looks great, I would love to catch a Gaga show!

Mala said...

You two look fab! Glad you rawked the Ga!!!

Elliott said...

So much fun, I particularly love the 'crowd went wild' picture, where only one enthusiastic participant is really visible.

And before I read the whole thing, I was asking 'Is Bev wearing a blue Michael Jackson Thriller jacket?'

Yes. Yes you were.

New England Girl said...

I'm so, so jealous. :) The two of you look fantastic and it sounds like you had an amazing time! :)

MtnMama said...

Love it. I actually do have a Laurie of my own, and the only thing preventing me from my own lovely night out is that she's also my only babysitter. Haven't yet resolved that conundrum.

Great pictures!

Bev said...

Laurie - thanks for makin' it happen! We totally rawked it!! Awesome, awesome night.

Harmony - you really do. I would have looked so boring last night without my stylist. :)

Mala - WORD. Next time your ass is getting glittered as well. It's comin' for ya!

Elliott - Yep, the MJ jacket was rather uncomfortable later in the evening, but I stuck it out like the trooper that I am! I hate to admit it but the dye rubbed off on my wrists so at 1 AM I was scrubbing my wrists like Lady MacBeth. Wicked.

NE Girl - Your name came up last night! Laurie mentioned how you seem so sweet on my blog comments, and I said you ARE! So yeah, next time get yo' ass to Boston and come with!

MtnMama - Yay for you having a Laurie. Now find a sitter and get out there, gf. I need to see the wilder side of MM. :)

jennybean79 said...

I'm so jealous! I would love to see her. Actually, I think it was you who posted about Lady Gaga when she was just starting to get really popular. Even though I haven't really been a fan of main stream type music, I went out and bought her cd and lovvvvvered it! Thanks for the tip (if it was you, of course)! Anyway, I love your outfit and glad you had a grand time.

Samsmama said...

Looks like a fabulous time! I can't listen to her without thinking of you, not that that's a bad thing. Glad you girls had fun!

I love The Wang! ;)

Bev said...

Jenny - Yay! So glad I turned you on to the Ga! I'm sure it was me - I've been extoling her virtues for quite a while now. :)

Samsmama - Yes, I know ya love the Wang!! And I love you for loving it so unabashedly, too. Heeee

Heidi Renée said...

Now it's my turn to be jealous of you for your awesome concert-going! I need a Laurie, too!

Also: waaaaaaang.

Stuart said...

As much as the pleather caused tender Member's Only moments of wistful reflection, I have to say I was purely and geekishly drawn to the architectural wonder of the Wang. (I'm not gay)

Good God, that place is awesome. I need to go there.

Even if I have to wear really awful clothing.

Rawk on, bitchfriend. Rawk on.


wv - blunm: the sound made by me staring at the ceiling whilst being gently punched in the solar plexus

Organic Meatbag said...

Bev, you clearly looked like the star of the show to me!

Mary said...

I'm so glad you had so much fun! but are you SURE she's not a dude? Just sayin'...
and while Elliott thought it was the Thriller jacket, I was thinking Eddie Murphy, Raw :)
Either way you looked goooood in it )

Elliott said...

Mary's observation begs the question - were you also rocking tight blue pleather pants?

Stacie's Madness said...

i was suppose to see her, but the damn tickets were sold out...grrr.

Bev said...

Heidi - I still want to see Pink, too! That show looked amazing. WANG.

Stuart - Totally! The place is just stunning. Oh, and I know you're not gay, but if you were you'd have totally fit right in at the Gaga show. It was fabulous!

OM - Why thank you! I do love the attention that bright blue pleather attracts.

Mary - haha!! Yes! I was Raw, too... pleather chaffes, yo.

Elliott - Sadly, no. But I did rock some tight Tommy Hilfigers, so close enough?

Stacie - We lucked out getting these tickets! hope you can catch her show the next time around. You'll love it! I'll lend you my plastic jacket!

PorkStar said...

Very, very nice Beavers, glad to hear you guys had fun and jaaayysususus, you (as in Bev) look so adorable and shiny and bright and...etc

Nice pics and review Bev...

Carol said...

loved your review, looked like great fun...the only time I've ever seen her even perform is on Ellen the other day......

Jillinator said...

whoohoooo!!!! looks like you guys had a fantastic time - glad to hear it was so great!

Senorita said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I added you.

I love Lady Gaga. She rocks !

Frank Irwin said...

Glittered ass. Mmmmmmm....

Great post and pics!

Cary said...

I love a good freak show. Reminds me of home.

Great pics. Looks like a lot of fun. It's hard to go wrong in pleather.

Lindsey Himmler said...

I wanted to post on this yesterday, but computer went all crazy. So in summation:

Love Lady Gaga - she's crazy and talented, and I bet she put on a rocking show.

Frank Irwin said...

So, I'm surfing the channels on a Friday night, and run into "Lady Gaga: On the Record with Fuse." Kind of a boring interview (sorry, Bev!).

HOWEVER...there's a promo for "Lady
Gaga Takeover" "all day" on Monday, Dec. 7, starting at 11am (EST, I assume).

Bev said...

Porky - Thank you! I felt bright & shiny,for sure! Glad you liked.

Carol - I DVR'ed that show. I thought she was amazing! "Speechless" is such a wonderful song. She sang it the other night and sounded fantastic.

Jill - it was great! Hope you can join us for the next one.

Senorita - thank you! Love your blog as well.

Frank - Yes, glittered ass galore! Good to see you again, buddy!

Cary - Pleather = very hot. THere was not a single material in that jacket that wasn't man-made, right down to the polyester lining. Sweet.

Lindsey - Yay! She did put on a rockin' show, for sure. A must-see, IMO!

Frank - thank you so much! Setting the DVR NOW! :)

Cosmetic Makeover said...

Ok lets get real, Your options are , an adhesive which will destroy the headliner if ever removed ... or a suspension device which penetrates the headliner and permanently connects to the roof sub frame.

Frank Irwin said...

Hey, Cosmetic Makeover...

Psst...

Over here.

Fuck off.

Bev said...

Thank you, Franky.

SHEEEEESH! Cosmetic Makeover, you make me feel awfully stabby which isn't how I want to feel at this time of year.

Mala said...

I'd still go with the adhesive.