Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Shrinkage?!



Nah, not that kind of shrinkage. Simmer down, fellas.

The other day in the grocery store I saw that Cheez-Its were on sale for $1.99/box, so I threw a box into the cart for the boys. A day or two later, Jim had the hongries so he got the box and was munching away when it suddenly occurred to him that there was something awry. The box was really, really small.

Small boxes - men hate those, right?

*whistling innocently*

Anyway. Looks like the Sunshine Company has pulled a fast one on us. The box is now several ounces lighter and is square instead of rectangular. It's basically now postage-stamp sized, but roughly the same price as the old packages. Jim held the box up and examined it before declaring that it was "freaking him out."

Not long ago I noticed the same thing about ice cream. As a kid, we'd get half-gallon containers of my favorite Breyer's ice cream, but a few years ago I noticed that I was able to palm a carton of ice cream when removing it from the freezer instead of having to use two hands. It seemed slightly smaller because it was - it had shrunk from a 1/2 gallon (2 quarts) to 1.75 quarts. No big deal, right? It's not like my waist needs that extra half a cup of smooth, delicious ice cream, right? However the price... it didn't get smaller, now did it? Recently they shrunk the Breyer's containers even more. Now your money will buy you 1.5 quarts and the container looks positively Lilliputian to me.

Last September Mala made a similar observation about her giant man hands the mini bottles of Corona that she bought accidentally. I'm really not pleased about these products that make our hands look massive.

Across the board things have gotten smaller; everything from bags of chips to paper towels are smaller but cost the same price. Apparently, inflation causes shrinkage. Since many Americans are overweight anyway I guess it's not a huge problem if we get 2 less ounces of fat-laden potato chips into our gullets, but still... I noticed.

Have you noticed? What else has gotten smaller?

24 comments:

Senorita said...

Ooh, that pisses me off ! Cereal companies are notorious for this, especially with Cheeries. Pisses me off and they get away with it.

I bought a yogurt parfait last year, and they charged the same price for a smaller serving because they were using an "environmentally friendly cup". Supposedly it is biodegradable. How would I know anyway, I'm not going to be around to watch it dissolve.

Anyway, enough about that.

mo.stoneskin said...

Toilets have definitely got smaller. When I was a kid they were huge, towering into the sky like giant porcelain gods.

Cadbury's (I mean Kraft, dammit) Creme Eggs have definitely got smaller too.

Senorita said...

P.S: I meant to say Cheerios.

Del-V said...

I've noticed that peanut butter has gotten smaller. Also Rolling Stone Magazine!

MtnMama said...

What aggravates me is that it costs them money to change the packaging and adjust the processing machinery, but as long as the "dumb consumer" keeps buying the product, and doesn't see the price per package go up, they make out like bandits. Because eventually the price will go up, but by then, like the frog in the proverbial pot, we won't notice.

I'm trying hard to buy less processed crap, but it is a battle.

Bev said...

Senorita - Yes! Cereal boxes have definitely gotten smaller!

Mo - LOL! Yes, toilets for sure. Conversely, door knobs have gotten much lower, so growing up ain't all bad!

I'll have to check out the Creme Eggs this Sunday....

Del-V - Rolling Stone? You don't say! Wow, good one.

MtnMama - Yup, same here. It irks me because the prices will eventually increase and we'll be doubly screwed. I do try to make most things from scratch, but until I figure out how to make Cheez Its and Lays potato chips, I'm a slaaaave to the supermarket!

Not that I'm eating those things lately due to the whole ass expandage I mentioned yesterday, but you know what I mean. :)

Elliott said...

I ranted about TP last year, though I've noticed the ice cream, too. Now CheezIts? When will the madness end?

Samsmama said...

Hamburger Helper. The checkout girl pointed it out to me. I still had a box in the cabinet at home so I compared and, sure as shit, she was right. I guess (I'm hoping) that explains why hubby and I were able to polish off an entire box ourselves. Luckily Sam was gone or he'd have been on his own.

Elliott said...

I don't know why they call this stuff hamburger helper. It does just fine by itself, huh? I like it better than tuna helper myself.

Bev said...

Elliott - Totally forgot that post! Yup, you called it, bruddah. The madness... it's just getting WORSE.

Smama - Hamburger Helper? Sheesh. They should be paying YOU to buy that stuff. (sorry, couldn't resist...!)

Elliott - "Vicky, can I help you with that Kool-Aid?"

Samsmama said...

Oh, we're HH & TH fans. Dave's not a big TH fan, but he's not really a tuna fan. So there ya go. We jazz them up a bit. One pound, one pan.

About a week ago Dave was standing there staring into the fridge looking for something to eat. Totally reminded me of when Clark checked out the Grand Canyon. Made me laugh.

onebadmamajama said...

Coffee is another one that has experienced shrinkage. I'll be on the look out tonight at work for other items that have experienced shrinkage. I did notice that Kraft has changed up the Miracle Whip label. I bet they shrunk it too!

Shrinkage of all kinds sucks!

Salt said...

I totally don't eat them, but I noticed at the grocery the other day that boxes of Honey Comb have gotten smaller and squarier just like the Cheez-It boxes have!

Also I used to get these miniature baguettes at the store to eat with soup and they have gotten smaller as well. Which is probably a good thing because the last thing I need is more carbs.

Mike said...

That's an old trick of shrinking the packing slightly, but keeping the price still the same. Most people don't notice and if they do they still buy it with a few choice words.

adrienzgirl said...

I've noticed. And quite frankly, I would rather pay a little more for the same amount then the companies shrinking the boxes a smidge cause they think we as consumers are too stupid to notice!

Mike129 said...

Yes, the shrinkage in packaged groceries is rampant. Hell, sometimes they'll even keep the box the same size and shrink its contents.

You know what else is shrinking, at least here, newspapers.

And you know what they say. Good things cum in small boxes. Or something like that.

Nej said...

I love how companies say they are doing it to help with the obesity problem we have. I see that smaller box of cereal, and now I have to buy two. :-)

I gave them up quite a while ago, but potato chips are the worst for shrinkage. They make the bag smaller AND put less in that smaller bag then they normally would. It's craziness! :-)

Anything Fits a Naked Man said...

I've DEFINITELY been noticing the shrinkage!! My Birdseye Baby Broccoli Blend frozen veggies have gotten smaller AND more expensive!!

Heidi Renée said...

I say we all buy bigger wedding rings to balance out the shrinkage.

meleah rebeccah said...

All I can say is 'Size DOES Matter!' I was quite annoyed when my favorite coffee ice cream experienced shrinkage, and costs DOUBLE for the full-size. UGH!

Cary said...

They all stole that trick from candy bars. I remember the first time I bought a Snickers and it only filled about 2/3 of the package, which had stayed the same. At first I thought I got a runt, but then I bought another one and same dealio.

If Vienna sausages shrink, we're screwed. I can barely get them out of the can as it is.

Cary said...

I keep getting a faint whiff of creep. Anybody else smell it?

Bev said...

Cary, I don't know what you're talking about, but I hear Old Spice is good for that.

"Look at your man, now back at me."

Elliott said...

I love the new look, by the way. Very chic.