Monday, May 3, 2010

And we're BACK!

OH EM GEE, guys. I'm so sorry I dropped off the face of the planet last week, but unbeknownst to me, the townhouse we shared with our friends on vacation had NO internet access.

ACCCKKKKKKK!!!

It took several days for the withdrawal shakes to subside, but once they did I actually enjoyed being unplugged for a while. Sort of. A little.

Ok, I missed you so badly that it buuuuuuuuuuuuurned! Are you happy now?



Anywho, the vacay was FAB, and it was so nice to get away from my crap job for an entire week. Today I'm back and hating every minute of it, but I'm trying not to dwell. We got home last last night so I haven't had a moment to even upload my photos, but I'll share a few choice pics ASAP.

Everything went perfectly and exceeded our expectations. I won't rub it in, but I'll give you the Cliff Notes version:

The GOOD:

- The kids were amazing. They behaved, had fun, were cute and polite, and let me cuddle them and smother them with kisses. It... was awesome.

- All three families got along great! There were 13 of us total - 6 adults and 7 kids ranging in ages from 2 1/2 to 13 years old.

- Disney and Sea World kicked ass! D was tall enough to do all the rides at Disney and sat in the very first car on Space Mountain.

- The pool at this place was outstanding; it had a water slide and a lazy river.

- Great weather, but due to my diligent application of sunblock no one got a sunburn!

- We all got our nerd on at Medieval Times and it was a BLAST.

- Mimosas for breakfast every day.

The BAD:

- We did not get to see Elliott. :( Sunday got all FUBAR'ed because our check-in was much later than we anticipated, and by the time we got into where we were staying the kids were done-zo (read: too cranky to abandon while we went to dinner). We tried to reschedule but Elliott & Lori had work obligations. BOO. Now I'll have to go to farging Ohio to meet them.

- On the last night I dinged up my shin/knee on the hot tub. It is now a delightful shade of purple and yellow. Stupid champagne!

- D got carsick. Twice. I don't know if I'll ever get the smell of barf out of my car! For the record, vomit consisting of cheeseburger and chocolate milk will make you want to jump out of a moving car at top speed, but puke consisting of chicken nuggets and Gatorade? Not so bad. Except for the staining factor, that is.

- Vacations are expensive. I'm now broke as a joke till further notice!

- Did I mention NO INTERNET?!



The Amtrak Auto Train was an interesting experience, and on the way down we loved it. It was half-empty and everyone on board was families like ours, heading to Disney. But on the way home... it was completely full, it took forever, and the average age of the passengers was about 85. Seriously. Not just old people, but decrepid old people, some of whom where cranky and clearly didn't like children. When we walked into the waiting area it was just a sea of gray heads. There was only one other family on board, and thankfully we were seated near them.

Ok, that's it for now. I have a mountain of work to tackle and 143 unread messages in my inbox, I haven't touched base with any friends yet, and don't even talk to me about my messy house or unpacked suitcases!

But yes, it was worth it.

19 comments:

MJenks said...

I'd be totally sad about missing out on some Elliot goodness, too. It's enough to make me want to go to Indiana over the summer, just so I can take a day and head over to Ohier.

And, Bev...dear Bev...poor Bev...I'm familiar with the cheeseburger/chocolate shake puke in a moving car. I feel for you, my dear friend. Not enough to ever offer to help clean it up should it happen again, but I feel for you.

Samsmama said...

BOO for not getting to meet Elliott. I was looking forward to a "when bloggers meet" post. Guess you'll just have to come to see me.

Ok, for realz, I can't get over how much I've missed you. So, so happy you are back!

Heather said...

Holy crap I just got back from Disney and my experiece there sucked but was also fun. It was so packed when we went we hardly got to do anything. Basically $200 on tickets to ride about 6 rides. Oh wells, the kid saw the princesses. I'm glad you had so much fun!

Frank Irwin said...

WELCOME BACK BEVERLICIOUS!!!!

McDonald's have wi-fi, just so ya know. :-)

Sorry you missed out on seeing Elliot, and glad that blogs don't yet have smellivision.

Bev said...

Jenks - Yeah, the worst part was that he waited till we were 15 minutes from home last night to spew for the 2nd time. 8 hours in the car, and he waits till then?! Just what I wanted to do when I got home... clean vomit out of carpeting.

Smama - I am bummed about missing out on the Elliott goodness too. :( But SO GLAD you missed me! I missed you, too, Scarecrow!

Heather - Oh yeah, Disney was maddeningly crowded. We fast-passed a few rides including Space Mtn, which had an 80 minute wait! We also ditched before fireworks cuz we had just had enough.

Frank - Yes, thank goodness for no "smellavision!" :) Good to see you too, my friend!

Stacie's Madness said...

woohoo welcome back sounds like you had a great time. can't wait to see pictures!

Mala said...

Welcome back, Bevers. Glad you had a fabulous vacation. Sorry about the barf.
Bummer about Elliott. We'll have to add that stop on the Bev & Mala World Tour.

Elliott said...

If anyone is going to be bummed about missing out on the Elliott goodness, it should be me. I even spent the whole day suppressing my 'Europe' reflex so I WOULDN'T barf when we drank sizable amounts of tequila and rum.

Glad the vacation, as a whole, was a positive experience (though I'm quite crushed we didn't connect). At least when the Dammit gets carsick, it's only dog food. And it's not in MY car.

Salt said...

You're home!! You're really really home!! We all missed you so. In fact, I just stopped by here last night to see if I had somehow missed a post from you. I guess you could say I had withdrawal.

I'm glad you had a great trip. (Aside from missing out on Elliott. And the car barf.)

Rich Girl Red said...

I'm so glad you're back! I missed you--I got back from Florida the day after you left. I'm sure we have scandalous stories and lewd pictures to share. (Wait, that's just me. Sorry.)

I, too, was looking forward to the "Elliott meets Bev" story. Make something up, will ya? It doesn't have to be true.

As for the barf--been there. But write this down: nothing is worse than chili and red Hawaiian Punch. NOTHING.

Welcome back. It's perfectly okay to live out of your suitcase for at least a few days. Once you unpack it, the vacation is REALLY over. Sniff.

Heidi Renée said...

Props on no sunburns. Now that's an accomplishment!

When I drove from Massachusetts to California, one of my cats had diarrhea in his carrier and then rolled around in it. I didn't know whether to barf first or cry first. Luckily I had packed clean up supplies in the car.

onebadmamajama said...

Soooooo glad to hear you guys are back, safe and sound! It sucks you missed meeting Elliot. Also, I'm very grateful my kids have never been car pukers. Of course, they heartily make up for that with the sick in the middle of the night pukefests:)

Can't wait to see the pics of the vacay:)

BigSis said...

Well, hello there stranger. Good to see you again :) I am super jealous about your vacay. I'm glad it was fun!

laurieliz said...

We had a great time too! Just feel soooooo tired! Need a serious kick in the pants to get going back to the grind! So glad we all had fun but you ain't kiddin....was very expensive....maybe next time less booze......na ;)

Sales jobs said...

Sounds like you had a great time in your vacation. have a wonderful day.

tracey said...

welcome back. i missed you like crazy - see - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axWWJMpqQHA

my daughter sadie is a puker of epic proportions - she has acid reflux & a gag reflex so sensitive she can barf on command. that's the kind of skill that's gonna get her a man in a hurry ain't it? good thing she's purty.

Kate said...

Which smelled worse--the spew or the train full of oldies?

Glad yer back.

MtnMama said...

BEV!!!!! I’m sorry I missed your homecoming, but I’ve been up to my eyeballs with the new JOB. Nothing else could keep me away...

Oh, I enjoyed reading this. I have only been to DL, not D World. Can’t do 2 day waits, thank you. Not even without a kid in tow. But then, you had a Tribe with you! I might be willing to try it with a support team.

I am still waiting for an answer to my question about Medieval Times, but I understand that you just got back, and I’m willing to be patient. tick, tick, tick...

M pukes when we go to Yosemite, due to the unavoidable twisty mountain road going up to Glacier Point. Last time was a year ago, and the puke smell is only detectable now when it gets warm. So you have a slow fade to look forward to.

Kate’s comment made me LOL, and I don’t LOL enough.

Brooklyn ML said...

Sounds like a great trip! Best of luck recovering from it. ;)