Tuesday, June 22, 2010

From the Vault: Classic Clips

Hey now! Yesterday was shitty and I feel deflated and headache-y today. Boo!

It's cool, though - don't cry for me, Argentina. I will dust off my self-confidence and relocate my happy vibes, I promise!



Until then, I'm slacking off and showing some classic movie clips that I enjoyed during my very happy childhood and adolescence. I'm also throwing in a few old pics because... well, why the fuck not? That's why.

Who wears short-shorts? I did!



My sister and I loved those kittehs! I was probably about 9 in this picture, which means that some of my favorite movies were:

The 1959 comedy classic Some Like It Hot



This clip is kind of long, I know, but you'll have to trust me when I tell you that it's funny and worth watching. The gist of the story is that two struggling big band musicians (Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis) witness a brutal mob crime and decide to disguise themselves as women in a traveling girl-only band.

What I love about this clip is that it's a reminder that though times have certainly changed in the last 51 years, some things never change - men ogle women (and with Marilyn Monroe on board, how could they not?), they party, and they tell bawdy jokes. Plus, men in drag! More proof that classic humor never goes out of style.

Arthur (1981)



Dudley Moore plays a permanently-drunk millionaire who falls in love with a petty thief (Liza Minelli) who somehow still has better values than he does. This movie contains some of the best lines ever written. Truth.


La Bev at 16.



Observant (and long-time) readers of OOBH might recognize that purple tie-dye. I told ya that shirt was old!

Stripes (1981)

"Don't call me Francis."



My man Bill Murray is a down-and-out cab driver who decides to join the army with his friend Russell (Harold Ramis) because they basically have nothing better to do. Hilarity ensues.

Btw, this is why I sometimes say, "You just made the list!" when someone pisses me off. Now ya' know.

I could go on all day, but I'll stop now and save some clips for the next time I'm phoning it in down in the dumps!

I'll leave you with two ID cards I unearthed recently. The first is from high school and I was 14. The second was taken sophomore year of college when I was 20. The only thing that hasn't changed much about me in almost twenty years? My hairstyle. I should get on that.



Nah, I fear change.

Ok, lovelies! I shall check in wit'choo latah. Let's all do our best Scarlett O'Hara impression and say, "After all, tomorrow is another day!"

15 comments:

Rich Girl Red said...

Well, you went and did it again, Bev! I'm further convinced we are twins separated at birth (and by more than a decade and 15 states, but who's keeping track?) You listed three of my most favorite movies of all time. A day without a quote from "Arthur" is a day without sunshine (or one where I'm in a coma). I love that little club-footed drunk.

Sorry you're feeling down-in-the-dumpies. :( I'm sure by tomorrow, "hump" day, you'll be all shiny and sparkly again. "Isn't fun the best thing to have?" Later!

Mike129 said...

Ooooo! Lots of hot Bev pics! Yay! (Gotta' love those short-shorts!)

Um, where are Happy Cat's limbs???

MJenks said...

Mmmm...and I used to think that Taylor Coppenrath was the finest looking Catamount in the land...

I love Stripes, as well.

Cary McNeal said...

Stellar clips! Three fantastic movies. "You just made the list, buddy."

Hot pics too. Totally digging the Miss Clairol hair in the UV ID shot.

Samsmama said...

Is that a dog? Why are you killing it?

Love the pics! And Stripes is one of my favorites!

Kate said...

Cheer up! Who the hell is supposed to keep our moods up if you're down in the dumps??? C'mon Bev, don't you know that's your responsibility?

Am I the only one who think Bev looks like one of the Manson chics in that Vermont I.D.? Don't get me wrong, you're definitely hot. You just look like you might be prone to blind obedience and ritual murder.

Bev said...

RGR - NICE! I should have known that you would also love these flicks. I'm feeling more shiny and sparkly by the second, so thanks!

Mike - Aw, thanks! And yeah, poor Happy Cat. Why do you think he has lost his happy? You'd be sad too if you lost your limbs!

Jenks - Best comment ever. Thank you!

Cary - Haha! Miss Clairol! Long, brown, and straight has always been my look. I shall cling to it as I age! Oh, I'm clinging.

Smama - Killing him with WUV! That was our collie, Robbie. Our relationship ended tragically but I choose to remember the happy times, like this one.

Kate - HA!!!!!! You slay me! Yeah, I did have a whole "420/hippie" look during my college years which could easily translate to brainless murdering Manson girl, I suppose....

But I've never killed anyone.*








* That you know of.

Samsmama said...

I read Kate's comment too quickly and thought, "Bev doesn't look like a member of Hanson." *ahem*

Stacie's Madness said...

i loved stripes too.

Heidi Renée said...

I might just need to pinch this idea from you. I knew I saved those old IDs for a reason!

Kari said...

Hilarious! I say, "Lighten up, Francis" more often than I should.

Of course, the best quote from Stripes is, "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual."

wv: tored - Uh oh, I done tored mah britches on this here goat horn while I was givin' him some cousin lovin'.

Mala said...

Seriously, 3 more movies I haven't seen. Again, no cable during my youth.

Were you saying, "hey, something shiney" in that college ID? You look a bit distracted.

And you know, when you have a look that works, you just stick to it.
I, myself, am still looking for that look...*sigh*

And damn it, Mike129 total reminds me of someone and I can't put my finger on it...

Hope your mood has improved. If not, let me know who I should punch.

Senorita said...

I recently found my old school IDs. I tossed them. Didn't want the reminders of the awkwardness in high school.

I hope you feel better soon.

Elliott said...

These are great pictures, thanks! Strangely, I found my first college ID during the move, and I just need to hook up the scanner again to post it - amusingly, back in 1988 (and I think all through college, in fact) my ID number was my SSN, and schools didn't think twice about printing them on grade sheets and your ID.

And Kari? Stop by the old CDS tomorrow...GREAT Stripes quote!

(And you'll be glad I showed great restraint by not making some crude comment about Bev playing with her - um - kitteh.)

Um...scratch that.

Bev said...

Scratch what? Eh, nevermind....

Btw, Elliott - my college ID also had my SSN on it and I didn't realize until I had uploaded it to Blogger. D'OH! I was proofreading the post when I noticed it, so I quickly took it down and removed it.

Close call! *slapping forehead* Stupid, stupid!