Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Weekend Recapalooza

Happy Monday Tuesday morning! Is everyone all relaxed from their long weekend? I know I am; in fact if I were any more relaxed you'd have to check for a pulse!

The weekend was lovely. We had warm weather and blue skies, cold beer, and lots of swim-time. Here's the Cliff Notes version of what went down.

Friday night I met my Girl Posse for margs and apps, then we went to see Eclipse. I have to admit that I haven't loved either of the first two Twilight movies, in fact, I think they heartily sucked the big one. My expectations were therefore sufficiently low this time around, and I was pleasantly surprised. It was good!


I'm the only girl in the P-Posse who wore heels. Shorties.

After the movie we all headed downtown to a dive bar to meet up with some other friends and sing some karaoke. Unfortunately, on the way there the Southwestern Steak Egg Rolls (with a side of bacteria) Mala had for dinner kicked in and she got sick. I got to the bar but was worried about her. We were kind of freaking out, so I bid the girls farewell and booked it back to where she was camped out at the Circle K to make sure she wasn't, you know, dying of a stroke or something. :(

Within minutes Mala's rescue crew arrived. Her husband (with sleepy pj'ed kids in tow), mother, and step-dad showed up to drive her and her car home, and by then she was feeling better. Once she was bundled into her car and I was sure that she wasn't heading to the ER, I was able to relax again. I headed back to the bar and had some fun, though the whole ordeal was so sobering that it wasn't the wild night I'd anticipated.

Still, we had some cocktails and laughs, and before too long we were up there singing karaoke. This is when Meg and I made the most embarrassing song choice EVER. Worse than the time my friend Stacie and I sang about how we were born to be "Ramblin' Men." Worse than the Divinyl incident. Worse than other song I've ever selected to sing in public in my entire life.

For some reason, we saw the song "Gold-Digger" by Kanye West and thought it would be fun to sing. ***SMACKING FOREHEAD***

It was NOT fun to sing.

In fact, it was mortifying.

Apparently, we didn't know the song as well as we thought we did.
Apparently, we'd only heard the radio version.
Apparently, we had no idea what word Kanye says in the chorus, over and over again.

It's a word I've never said in my entire life, and I wasn't about to start then.

Hint: it rhymes with "digger."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Megan tried to salvage it, but about 30 seconds in I just stood there wishing that the floor would open up and swallow me. We eventually stumbled our way through it singing the clean radio version, "broke, broke," but it was humiliating, and I wasn't nearly drunk enough to just go with it!





Later, Laurie and I redeemed ourselves by kicking some ass on "Just Dance" by our girl Gaga, but still... ouch.

Those tequila shots were purely medicinal!

On Saturday Mala and I shot a bunch of funny video at her house, but then I got home and discovered that my camcorder won't talk to my laptop, and neither one of them wants anything to do with the Pinnacle editing software, either. FML! So today I'm off to Best Buy to try to spend my way out of this pickle. Hopefully we'll have something fun for you guys at some point.

Sunday we spent the day at the lake in Vermont with my mom and some extended family, and I'll spare you the details of that day with one exception. This photo was taken right after D splashed us right in the face, so please forgive the 'do and the bizarre expression on my face. What is more funny is the Photobomber behind us, yes?



Yup, I thought so too!

On Monday I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be, and more.

So that's my weekend in a nutshell (Help! I'm in a nutshell!). How was yours? Sing any embarrassing karaoke? Have any potential medical emergencies? Have a Shamu sighting? No? Just me then?

Figures.

19 comments:

Samsmama said...

Poor Mala! Just reading that made my stomach turn.

I am LOVING that you didn't know the actual words! Priceless.

No Karaoke, but we had a scary incident with a Chinook helicopter. And hubby lit half a stick of TNT, which was a bit fierce. Great weekend here, too. Glad you had a good one!


P.S. AWESOME photobomb shot!

Mike129 said...

Are you sure Mala's incident wasn't caused by Eclipse? (Hope she is better now!)

And since we all know I am only here for the pics, the one of you and Megan? Hott!

Samsmama said...

Oh, and I meant to say the the Simpsons/The Scream picture is fantastic!

Rich Girl Red said...

Except for poor Mala's GI bug, it sounds like you had a great weekend! Choosing the wrong song for karaoke can be the kiss of death with the coffin nailed shut, for sure. "Love Shack" is always safe, as is "Something To Talk About." (the crowd will usually bail you out when you start sucking big!) And the more alcohol you (and the audience) has consumed, the better you sound!

I spent the whole weekend with the fam--4/5 kids, husband, dad, and some assorted friends. Saturday was shopping, Cheesecake Factory, and TS3 (sniff sniff). Sunday was swimming, grilling, sangria, and fireworks. Monday, lather, rinse, repeat. (And go ahead and shame me--I'm SO glad most of them are out of my hair today!)

It's going to be a great (short) week! Can't wait to see your videos!

laurieliz said...

I had sooooo much fun until I was worried about our poor Mala! Then, pure terror until you told me she was much better and on her way home. Phew! And we rocked "Just Dance". The whole place thought so....and no one heard a word of Gold Digger...I think he turned y'all way down on purpose cuz of that word...no worries!

onebadmamajama said...

I loved the pics on FB! But, um, you got photobombed at least twice. The other guy is a weird hippie like dude LOL Is he wearing a headband or goggles?

Anyhoo, our weekend was okay. The weird cousins made minimal appearances and the weather was fine:)

Frank Irwin said...

Yeah, just you. Sounds like a fun weekend, though!

Kate said...

I thought Shamu lived in Florida. Huh. Guess I was wrong.

Poor Mala. Glad she's better, but I would recommend that she remove vomiting from her 4th of July weekend festivities next year.

calicobebop said...

I am so jealous of your Eclipse viewing. :( At this rate I will probably have to wait until DVD.

My favorite part of this post? The Photobomber. That is absolutely classic!

Heather said...

I didn't see shamu but my aunt got drunk and my uncle trapped her in her chair with other chairs without her noticing and it was so funny people were spitting margaritas out their noses!

Bev said...

Samsmama - Chinook helicopter and TNT? Tell me more! I'm just hoping that Dave escaped with all of his digits intact....

Mike - Thanks! Oh, and the first blonde is Laurie, not Megan, but thank you! :)

Smama - Glad you likey! It summed up how I felt, trust.

RGR - Your weekend sounds fabu! Now I want Sangria....

I'll take your 'roake songs into advisement for next time, though I really had my heart set on doing Cake's Short Skirt, Long Jacket! Sadly, last call came too soon....

Laurie - Gosh, I hope you're right!! C'mon Squid, help a sistah out!

OBMJ - Haha! I didn't even see the hippie photobomber. Now I need to go seek him out!

Frank - :-p Thanks

Kate - Yes, please! I almost had a heart attack just thinking that she was having a heart attack. Dislike!!

Calico - It was good, but not worth dropping everything to get to the theatre. It'll be out on DVD before you know it!!

Heather - I hope you got pics!

Mike129 said...

Oops! Sorry, Laurie!

I am easily confused.

Lee said...

Saw this picture on another friend's blog immediately after reading yours, lol

http://www.moronail.net/images/stories/dg_originals/0911/2248.jpg (SFW)

Bev said...

Mike - no worries!

Lee - OMG! That is awesome. Totally stealing that - thanks! :)

MtnMama said...

I loved your lake pictures - I was meaning to ask you where that was.

Food poisoning was the cause of the sickest I've ever been... 3 times. That Mala was feeling less awful by later that same evening says great things about her constitution.

I haven't kareoked in years, and by now I'm pretty sure I wouldn't recognize half the songs on offer. Not feeling inspired to find out, now. Sounds awkward!

My weekend? Just 3 nights in Aspen... y'know, the usual. ;)

Mala said...

ORCA!

Yes I'm feeling MUCH better. Thanks ya'll. I was this close to agreeing to go to the ER. That says a lot.

PLEASE give me another chance to 'raoke?

Mala said...

and I'm back, to make a little clicky love to that little follow up box.

Frank Irwin said...

I didn't want to pollute my blog with this video, so I'll put it here. It's kinda like karaoke, so it kinda fits.

;-)

Senorita said...

That shamu sighting was LOL funny !

I just can't get into Twighlight or Eclipse or whatever........

Glad you enjoyed your holiday!