Monday, December 20, 2010

Thankful for "high-class problems."

Wow, what a crazy month this has been! I'd like to thank the Snow Gods for keeping the storms away from New England so far--I don't ever remember a dryer December--but it's definitely not beginning to look a lot like Christmas up in here!  We wouldn't say no to a nice big snow storm at the end of this week, mkay?  Thaaaanks.

Today is the annual holiday potluck lunch and Yankee Swap at my crap job. You know, the day when I have to grin and pretend to like my coworkers, pretend to like their crappy cooking, pretend to like the ceramic snowman spoon rest or whatever-the-fuck I'll pull in the swap, pretend to be interested in their annoying, self-gratifying stories, and most importantly, pretend that my job doesn't make me want to shoot myself in the face every fucking day.

That's a lot of pretending, and I'm exhausted already.

I'd much rather be home cuddling with the new puppy we got this weekend!



Wouldn't you?  Look how cute!


I'm comforting myself with the knowledge that it's a 2-day work week for me, so by Wednesday morning I'll be able to finally clean my house and START my holiday drinking wrapping!  Wednesday cannot come soon enough.

Until then, I'm doing my best to shut off the nagging voices in my head (What - you don't hear them?) and be thankful for my "high-class problems."  No more feeling sorry for myself, no more worrying about what everyone else thinks of me.  No more.  Time to grow up and be more appreciative, goddamn it.

I've got a job, a home, and a family that loves me.  There will be presents under the tree on Saturday morning and we always have food on our table and a safe place to rest our heads each night.  I have friends to call when I'm sad and a hilarious and smart sister who has known me longer than I've known myself, and still likes me!  I have a brain in my head and a (relatively) clean bill of health.  It truly is a wonderful life, and I'm so grateful for it.

I'm really hoping that 2011 is a fabulous year for us all.

And now, so you won't all think I've gone entirely soft and mushy, here's a message from our friends at IKEA about cleaning up your toys.  As someone who once experienced a moment of abject humiliation when my two-year-old wandered into the kitchen holding a familiar vibrating object, I can relate.




I'm not sure what the week will bring - maybe I'll blog, maybe I won't, so just in case, I'll say this:

Happy Holidays to all of my beautiful, bouncing BOOBHs! You're spectacular and La Bev loves you.

13 comments:

Frank Irwin said...

When you're at your pot-luck, don't forget to pretend that your beloved coworkers washed their hands as they prepared their vittles in their spotless kitchens.

You're welcome.

That's a cute new pup you've got there!

Mala said...

Thanks to Hoarders, I will never partake in a pot luck again. EVER!
Did Crazy Cat Lady Co-Worker actually bring (Tender) Vittles?

And your pup IS CUTE!!!!!!!

Enjoy the rum balls!

Mala said...

and 2011 is going to rock, HARD!

Heidi Renée said...

That pooch is (and your boys are) adorable. Merry Christmas to you guys!

BigSis said...

We did our little gift exchange at work and I had the last number to pick a gift, so I took home what I brought. It was the best gift there. Bah Humbug!

Samsmama said...

Wow, so much cussing for a holiday post. ;)

Love that puppy, and your boys are super duper cute! And my little angel was once found playing with a vibrating toy. Good times.

Have a wonderful week, Bevdammit!

Dave said...

Your Engrish not stink, why say you that?
Sometimes that is the charm, the only way to get your real point across.
I've worked with some real crazies over the years, and it slowly started to dawn on me that my interaction with people (workplaces, stores, etc.) is a small snapshot of the world as a whole. I hate changing into a misanthrope, getting bitter as I get older, but MAN, do some of these people deserve it.
I'm obviously in the Christmas spirit, huh? Maybe tomorrow will be better - at least it won't be Monday.

Bev said...

Frank - Thanks to you, I stuck with my own dip and crackers for lunch. ;) I've seen Hoarders, thankyouverymuch!

Mala - No rum balls this year! They got a glimpse of Fun Bev last year. Never again! They don't deserve Fun Bev!

Heidi - Thank you! Happy holidays to you and yours, too!

BigSis - I was last too, so I had my choice. I was thisclose to nabbing the bottle of Korbel I'd brought, but I decided to go for something different. I never buy Bailey's Irish Cream on my own!

Smama - Fuck yeah! ;) You say cussing like it's a bad thing.... Bevdammit - niiiiice.

Dave - I hear that. I'm not a misanthrope - people just suck!

Elliott said...

Thankfully we don't do potluck here very often. I work with vegans and raw foodies, so there's always some meatless-cheeseless-tasteless thing, like the 'frosting' someone made with cauliflower for the chick-pea brownies.

May the new year be a happy one for the Bev family and all of the BOOBH's, I treasure our time together...it's a great break from the insanity of my daily life.

I've never heard of a Yankee Swap, and I can't believe you get to trade alcohol. I like our VP of HR, but she's always trying to protect the company which means no liquor in the office. (Except in the owner's office, of course. Man, I love our owner.)

Dave said...

Never had any kids (mine or a girlfriend's) find and bring out for display any naughty toys (vibrating or not), but I'm pretty sure I'd be more embarrassed that the kids had found them than that other people know that good times are had in the bedroom. Yummy.
Hi Ho, Silver Bullet!!
I just worry that they'll hurt themselves if they find the 2-stroke, kick-start models...waka waka

PAMO said...

I hope you have a wonderful New Year! Looking forward to reading your future posts.

onebadmamajama said...

OMG! That was the funniest commercial EVER! It reminds me of an incident that happened to me while substitute teaching. It'll make a great blog post;)

After working as a CNA and seeing first hand how quickly stuff can spread, I find myself reluctant to eat anything that I can't prepare myself. Especially at potlucks and buffets! ACK! Scary shit!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you as well, Bevs! I have high hopes that 2011 will ROCK for us all:)

Melissa said...

That's lovely Bev. Merry Christmas to you and your family. ♥