Tuesday, April 12, 2011

U.S. Stereotypes

I found this map last week and it made me smile. I admit that since I haven't traveled to every state in this great country yet*, I try to reserve judgment as much as possible. HOWEVER... I really think they nailed the common perceptions that many of us have about different areas of the good old U.S. of A.

Click to enlarge.
Speaking as someone who has spent her entire life living in Vermont and New Hampshire, I do find it interesting that the stereotype for those states is that we are rich. In fact, pardon me while I snort loudly and roll my eyes....  I am clearly in the bottom half of THAT demographic.  While I've never been what I'd consider "poor," I've never exactly been wealthy either.

I can't quite make out what they said for Maine, but it looks like sailing?  I would have said Lobster, but that's just me.  *shrug*  Also, what does "fashion bloggers" refer to?  I feel like an idiot for not getting that.

How'd they do for your state/area?

* I have this crazy pipe dream about renting an RV and taking my family on the ultimate Griswold-style vacation some day, although I'm fairly certain that so much time in an enclosed space with my darling husband and adorable spawnlings might inspire some unfortunate incidents...and possible jail time.  Totally worth it!

21 comments:

MJenks said...

Apparently, I'm a fashion blogger. *shrugs*

Um...the person who wrote "mountains and meadows" across Montana, the Dakotas and Nebraska has clearly never been there. Or known anyone from there. Or ever seen a picture.

MLG said...

I totally agree with their assessment of California.

Stacie's Madness said...

Meh. horses etc. whatevs.

I'm totally all in for an RV trip...we should carivan...THAT would be awe.some.

Frank Irwin said...

Yes, ma'am, you and yours need to come down to my state.

And bring Stacie.

Bev said...

Jenks, maybe so... but I've never been there or seen many pictures, and that's totally what I think of when I think of that area. (Which, admittedly, isn't often....) Well, that and Fargo.

MLG - As do I, m'lady!

Stacie - I LIKE that idea! Ready the Blog-Mobile!

Frank - Yeehaw! Will do, cowboy.

Samsmama said...

I could not feel more stupid for saying this, but I really can't figure out which state I am. *shrugs* Think I'll wander over to Fried Chicken for a bit...

Rich Girl Red said...

Come on, Smama! We've got plenty. And if we get thirsty, we aren't too far from "hot and drunk!"

Cary said...

Fashion bloggers in South Carolina? One sec, please.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Wait... do overalls and rebel flags count as fashion?

Heidi Renée said...

It's true, the UP is drunk. I have family there.

PorkStar said...

Mine says Snooki. WTF?

So she's now a tri state thing?

It should have read, espanol, or New Yorricans or some shit like that.

Senorita said...

I am in CA, and we totally are the life of the party, as in we WERE happening yesterday, but TODAY currently we are in a total hangover state with an STD to match because we weren't careful in how we spent our money and how are politicians got into bed and made deals with. Seriously, us Californians are a big hot mess.

JJ said...

They got Michigan pretty well...since we are a state surrounded by lakes and actually, full of lakes, there are a lot of "lake people". Funny, I think Washington/Oregon is pretty funny.

Vegetarian Cannibal said...

that's pretty funny! Dive bars and serial killers? What's that all about? Haha?

Organic Meatbag said...

Fried chicken, huh? What a load of fucking bullshit...

Mala said...

I'd totally love to do a road trip. Just not with my family.

Seriously, they didn't even try hen it came to NH/VT. Ugh.

Bev said...

Mmm, now I really want fried chicken! Hot & drunk doesn't sound so bad, either. ;)

Frank Irwin said...

Mmmmm...fooooood.

Bev said...

Awesome, Frank! Nom nom nom

Bev said...

Although, I've gotta say -- blueberries and pumpkins beat out MAPLE SYRUP in NE? *shaking head*

Elliott said...

Okay, coming from Wisconsin, they're only half right. 'People who make cheese and beer' would have been closer. They nailed the UP of Michigan, though.

Iowa? Try 'Corn Pigs Corn Pigs Corn Pigs'. My other option would have been to leave the square blank.

Presently, the 'etc' in my 'horses, etc.' would be Amish folks. And they make a mean Noodles over Mashed Potatoes dish.

Anonymous said...

Ohio = horses??? Corn and/or rust would have made more sense