Friday, September 16, 2011

The Sunny Side

Hey guys!  What's shakin'?  Happy mother-lovin' FRIDAY!

I am so, so, so glad that it's Friday.  What a week this has been!  First of all, I have spent the past two weeks dealing with the lingering fear that I might have a freaking brain tumor.  Yes, really!  I know how fucked up this sounds, but basically I've had thyroid cancer (and technically still do, but it's so tiny the doctors can't find it & it no longer responds to radiation) since 1999, so every year around this time I have to go get my blood work and diagnostic imaging done.  At my appointment earlier this month, my doctor paused while jotting notes when I mentioned that I had spent much of August with crazy, debilitating, vision-fuckery-inducing Migraines.

"I'm sure it's something else," he said, "you've said you're under a lot of stress right now, and it could be hormonal.  There are lots of causes for migraines.  But since recurrent metastatic thyroid cancer can travel to the brain, we should probably take a look just to rule that out."


So I went for a CT scan and chest x-ray -- relatively minor tests compared to the shitload (yes, that's a technical term) of tests that I had last year when I had that recurrence removed from my neck and lost my voice for almost five miserable months.

Then my doctor went on vacation and I didn't hear back from him or his office for TWO WEEKS.  This looks like a job for:


I've held it together pretty well, but my poor friends... oy.  They deserve a medal for getting me through these past few months years weeks!  Love you guys... you know who you are.  <3

But everything is going to be all right. Last night my doctor called me to tell me:


IT'S NOT A TOOMAH!

What a relief!  Even though it was an off-chance, just having it as a remote possibility was nerve-wracking.  In my mind I was already picking wig colors in case I had to have brain surgery.  Thank you, Anxiety Girl!

Anyhooters, I got a (relatively) clean bill of health, in fact, my TG (which in my case is how much cancer I have in my blood) is the lowest it has ever been since this whole mess started 12 years ago.  Plus, I don't have to go back to the doctor for another year, and my name is Bev and it has been 10 days since my last migraine!


What a relief.  Stuff like this tends to put everything else into perspective.  Not that the other stuff doesn't add to my stress level, but when you've got your health and the love of your friends and family, it sure is easier to deal with life's many, many, MANY worries.  I am grateful.

But enough about me and my stress.  It's Friday, and I am so happy to finally have a moment to myself so that I can blog and catch up on my work in peace.  Going forward, I'm going to make a concerted effort to handle my stress better.  I'm signing up for yoga, I joined a massage club for a monthly Swedish rub-down (no full-release, darn it), and I am going to do a better job of putting my work and online activities on hold in the evenings.  I simply must.  The internet is fun, but when it starts interfering with my health (mental and physical) it's time to cut back.

That's what's new with me!  Tomorrow I have a day of doing absolutely nothing ahead of me, and I can't wait.  I think I'll hit B&N and get a fun new book to read.  Any recommendations?  Nothing too deep and nothing depressing, please.  :)

Hope you all have a wonderful, relaxing weekend!
xo

8 comments:

Frank Irwin said...

I'm so glad that IT'S NOT A TOOMAH!

MJenks said...

The Milhouse photo made me laugh so hard I tooted a little.

If you haven't read it, go with Walk in the Woods. It's not deep, it's not depressing. It's just fun. Plus, I like to think of Katz and Bryson as being something like my friend Will and I in college.

Bev said...

Thanks, Frank, you & me both!

Jenks, your comment made me laugh so hard that I would have tooted, if I did that sort of thing. ;)

I have actually read that book! I love Bryson and have read quite a few of his books.

onebadmamajama said...

I'm am glad to hear you are TOOMAH and migraine free! As for book recommendations, I could use a few myself. I keep reading the same ole shizznit. Right now,I am reading "The Passage" for, like, the 8th time:(

Bev said...

Thanks, OBMJ! I loved "The Passage," but I think I need something a little lighter right now....

MLG said...

Jesus.
I am really, really glad to hear you don't have a brain tumor! Enjoy your weekend, my dear.

Senorita said...

You have a wonderful sense of humor considering the shit you've been going through. I'm so thrilled you don't have a tumor.

Bev said...

MLG - thanks, babe!

Senorita - I do what I can. Life is so boring without humor, so as long as I'm alive, I hope to keep mine in tact. :D